Sunday, May 21, 2017

Fishing Log




Wooden dock, East of Charlie-2
May 21, 1997 - Caught a 20 inch, 3 pound flounder fishing the west end of the wooden pier, outside fence near Charlie-2, using a chartreuse, twisty tail,  gold metal flake jig, with red a 1/4-oz. head, two hours after dead low tide.  Wind and tide flow were out of the East (at my back).  Enjoyed using the new landing net again.  It worked like a champ!  Of the 3 flounder I caught this week: I gave one to Doug Oswald (Kathy's pottery tenant), I grilled one outside with fresh herbs and butter, and took the biggest one over to Mac (my father) and Helga's house, where I filleted it for them.  Dorothy (my mother) got the croaker and the blues last weekend for baby sitting Rudy (the dog) Sunday night, while Kathy and I stayed with Candice and Parker Boice, at an oceanfront condo, on St. Augustine Beach.  I would have taken them some fish too, but they are vegetarians.

I also tried fishing a finger mullet, hooked through the lips, with no success.  He never lost a scale, and was happy to be released to be with his school mates, just after I caught the flounder.  Tomorrow is a full moon, with winds projected out of the N.E. which should seriously limit my options.  I'll probably hit the same spot at first light, just before high tide, and hope to pick up another flounder to grill, for Memorial Day Weekend.  Will also keep an eye peeled for jacks and blues working finger mullet on the surface, but will probably rely on an opaque white jig with a pink tail, worked close to the bottom, for a flounder.  Hope that the spare spool I ordered from Penn, for the SS4400 reel, comes soon.


I put the new Penn reel on a new $44.00 Fenwick rod with a super good action, but my favorite weapon is still the corroded old Zebco XB65 spinning reel on those red, 5.5-ft. Big Lots rods ($20.00).  Big bucks spent on fishing tackle do not always translate into more fish.  I have broken the (faster action, brittle) tips off of 3 rods, attached to the old corroded Zebco reel, but that combo, spooled with 12# Spider Fusion braided line, has produced hundreds of fish.  The new Penn reels on fancier rods, have been disappointing.  The Penn reels, with graphite bodies, are supposed to be the best hedge against salt water corrosion. but their action is clunky, and the anti-reverse gear has too much play and 'clangs' when popping a jig or setting a hook.  I guess I need to write them (Penn Reels) a letter.



No comments:

Post a Comment